On our last day in Hong Kong, our itinerary included a visit to the scenic, Tang Dynasty-style influenced garden in Diamond Hill, Kowloon.
Picturesquely designed with hills, water features, trees, rocks and wooden structures, the Nan Lian Garden (南蓮園池) is a Chinese Classical Garden with an area of 3.5 hectares.
Upon entering the Black Lintel Gate, one will already see the Chinese Timber Architecture Gallery to the left. It contains wooden models of traditional Chinese timber structures. Following the one-way route, visitors will be able to stroll along the Banyan Grove and Pine Path.
Although the location of the garden is in urban Kowloon this is a truly beautiful, colourful and scenic place with a tranquil and serene atmosphere. If only I lived nearby, I would surely love a daily morning walk here, just enough to relax in solitude one’s exhausted soul.
While there are plenty of high-rise buildings in the vicinity of the garden the distant backdrop to the north is of the scenic mountain ranges of Lion Rock, Tate’s Cairn, Temple Hill and Kowloon Peak.
Noise barriers shield the gardens from the sound of traffic outside the garden and mounds have been placed around the whole garden with extensive planting of trees to filter exhaust and dust from the surrounding area.I wonder when will Philippines have something like this?
Chi Lin Nunnery
Inside the garden, one can also find the Chi Lin Nunnery who maintains and manage the garden for almost five years now.
This Buddhist nunnery is stunning with its monastery complex having been renovated as a piece of Tang dynasty architecture. The grand and elegant complex will surely become one of China’s great cultural attractions in the years to come
- Free (there may be a charge for some special events and exhibitions in Xiang Hai Xuan exhibition hall)
- Open To the public from 7am – 9pm daily.
- MTR Kwun Tong Line to Diamond Hill. Entrance to garden is about 5 minutes walk from exit C2 (Plaza Hollywood) at 60 Fung Tak Road (under flyover). There are tourist direction signs from the station exit.
- Bus routes 11,74X,75X,82X,82P,84M,85C,85M,91,91M,92,286M to Diamond Hill Public Transport Interchange (under Diamond Hill MTR Station). Bus routes 3B,10,11C,74X,91,92 stop near garden entrance on Fung Tak Road.
- The garden can also be accessed directly from adjacent Chi Lin Nunnery by pedestrian footbridge over Fung Tak Road.
For details: http://www.nanliangarden.org
|This 3-day escape to the land of fragrant harbour happened last June 24-26, 2012. Here is a series of posts on our trip to one of Asia’s World Class City, Hong Kong. Discover the places we’ve been to, the people we met, the food we tasted and the experience we gained in this remarkable escapade.
Hong Kong 3 Days Budget Tour Itinerary | Ngong Ping 360 Experience: Cable Car, Walking with Buddha, & Po Lin Monastery | A Hong Kong Disneyland Adventure | Dream Come True: Jason Mraz Live in Hong Kong | Nan Lian Garden & Chi Lin Nunnery | Insightful Dialogue In The Dark Experience | Stunning Views fromThe Victoria Peak, Hong Kong | A Symphony of Lights, Victoria Harbour Light Show, Hong Kong